The cooler nights and start of leaf-chasing motorists in the Adirondacks typically signals to some people in the Northeast that the seasons are changing. To us snowmobilers? We have another sure-fire way to know that fall is here, and the glory of winter in not far behind.
The Big East Powersports Show in Syracuse has been a celebration of all things snowmobiling since 1994. Except of course for the COVID-closure autumn of 2020, it’s annually kicked off the countdown to riding season for thousands of dedicated sledheads in the Empire State and beyond. This year is no exception – it is September 30-October 2. Please consider yourself formally invited!
In fact, the Big East grows again this season as it adjusts to the added space afforded by the move to the New York State Fairgrounds Exposition Center, with exhibits inside and outside, high-profile celebrity guest speakers and tons of space to meet up with friends new and old. Plus supply chain woes that limited product available at the show last year has been cleared up.
So, back to the norm, it’s a great place to get geared-up for the coming season, with a massive selection of helmets, jackets, bibs, boots and gloves from a broad array of brands. If it’s made for snowmobiling, you’ll likely find it at the Big East, where you can find the right size and style, try it on and get great pricing.
Beyond that, there are performance parts, trailers, traction products, dolly systems, skis, trailering accessories, helmet radios, light systems, oils, lubricants… again, pretty much everything a snowmobiler could want to see in person all under one roof.
Of course, the 2023 snowmobiles will be there with the huge factory displays. You can also find new places to ride at the various destination booths and snowmobile club displays. Pick up some maps, talk to a tour operator and plan something special for this winter.
The Big East Show also has an important social aspect. It’s where snowmobilers go to gather with like-minded people and experience camaraderie at its finest!
Big East Classic Returns
The Big East Classic vintage snowmobile show will be back for a second season. In it’s “rookie year” in 2021, it immediately became one of the best showcases of vintage snowmobiles in the country when it took over a broad parking lot in front of the Expo Center.
Well, Ron Fesko and his team are bringing it back and expanding it Saturday, October 1, at this year’s Big East Show. They do vintage shows right!
You’ll see sleds on display from dozens of brands in various classes. In addition, there will be an added focus on classic Arctic Cat iron this year. The Classic is a great place to enjoy some memories and see sleds in various states of restoration.
Informative Seminars & Celebrity Appearances
The Snow Goer Stage also returns to the Big East Powersports Show, featuring informative seminars and celebrity guest appearances.
This is the place to hear the amazing stories of Levi LaVallee live and in person, and learn about Arctic Cat’s Catalyst Chassis from the people who designed it. You can learn how snowmobiles go from concept to reality, or what it’s like to be a factory engineer from lead product specialists from Ski-Doo and Polaris.
Get tips on how to properly dial in your suspension, or learn about snowmobiling from a woman’s perspective. Or find out the unique challenges and interesting opportunities in grass-roots snowmobiling from the New York State Snowmobile Association, and later with two area clubs. And be there when the 2023 Snowmobile of the Year is unveiled.
Here’s the list of seminars (below).
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
- 6 p.m. – “Snowmobiling In New York Today” with New York State Snowmobile Association Executive Director Jennifer Senf and President Edward Zalar
- 7 p.m. – “Inside Arctic Cat’s Catalyst Platform” with Troy Halvorson, director of snowmobile product strategy, and Ben Langaas, high performance engineering manager
- 8 p.m. – “Life As A Snowmobile Engineer” with Pat Adrian, Polaris snowmobile product manager
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1
- 11 a.m. – “Levi’s Latest Adventure: The Loop” with Polaris/Red Bull athlete, stunt man and race team owner Levi LaVallee
- 12 p.m. – “Inside Arctic Cat’s Catalyst Platform” with Troy Halvorson, director of snowmobile product strategy, and Ben Langaas, high performance engineering manager
- 1 p.m. – “2023 Snowmobile Of The Year Unveiling” with John Prusak from Snow Goer magazine
- 2 p.m. – TBA
- 3 p.m. – “Tips For Women Riders, & The Men Who Ride With Them” with Ski-Doo Ambassador MJ Thompson and Jody McKay from Pink Ribbon Riders
- 4 p.m. – “New Snowmobiles Development: From Idea To Execution,” with Ski-Doo product manager Frederic Desjardins
- 5 p.m. – “Being Levi” with Polaris/Red Bull athlete, stunt man and team owner Levi LaVallee
- 6 p.m. – “Maximize Your Suspension & Handling” with Ross Benson from Hygear Suspension
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2
- 12 p.m. – “Tales From The Trail” with the Southern Tug Hill Sno-Riders and Pulaski Boyleston Snowmobile Club
- 1 p.m. – “Tips For Women Riders, & The Men Who Ride With Them” with Ski-Doo Ambassador MJ Thompson and Jody McKay from Pink Ribbon Riders
Come celebrate snowmobiling in New York and beyond at this year’s Big East Powersports Show at the New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse. Hours are 4 to 9 p.m. on Friday, September 30; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, October 1; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, October 2. For more details or online tickets, visit BigEastPowersportsShow.com.
The Big East Powersports Show is owned and operated by EPG Brand Acceleration, the parent company of Snow Goer magazine.