Perhaps the biggest news from Haydays weekend was that Ski-Doo now has a second engine – and a 600-class engine at that – that fits into the REV Gen4 chassis in the form of its snocross-racing focused 2018 MXZx 600RS E-TEC.
The snowmobile – which serves as Ski-Doo’s race sled for the upcoming 2018 snocross season – comes with a narrow engine design, Ergo-Step side panels, RAS 3 front suspension and other features previously reserved for trail and mountain snowmobiles featuring the new-for-2017 850 E-TEC engine. And, while this one is truly racing-focused, it definitely teases what’s coming for 2019 in Ski-Doo’s consumer sled lineup.
From a racing perspective, there are many interesting features on the MXZx 600RS E-TEC — a snowmobile on which Ski-Doo officials said the only thing that returns from the 2017 600 RS is the track. That may seem like hyperbole, but this is a completely different race buggy that includes:
- A new engine that is Ski-Doo’s first race engine to feature E-TEC direct injection. The 599cc twin does not have oil injection, however — it requires pre-mix. That obviously will have to change when/if this engine gets repurposed for consumer sleds (It’s a mono-block design that includes booster injectors, a short intake and plasma-lined cylinders).
- The REV Gen4 platform for racing, which includes plastic from the Summit/Freeride line, a narrow seat and a short tunnel, the cooling system ending behind the seat and a replaceable rear section;
- The new RAS 3 front suspension with longer shocks, a taller spindle, rack steering and new skis;
- A revised Racing rMotion ski front with a new front arm shock and revised calibrations; and
- a new brake from Brembo that features a stainless steel rotor and new pads.
Below is the press release from Ski-Doo.
The 2018 Ski-Doo MXZx 600RS (Race Special) Unveiled At The 51ST Annual Haydays Eevent
BRP introduces the completely redesigned 2018 Ski-Doo MXZx 600RS E-TEC racing snowmobile designed specifically for winning on North American and European snocross
The 2018 MXZx 600RS E-TEC is based on the REV Gen4 platform for superior rider ergonomics and handling in rough conditions. Like all Gen4 sleds, the narrow design featuring centralized mass is agile and responsive while the Ergo Step side panels and beveled tunnel gives racers enormous freedom to ride the way they want – without interference from the chassis. Other features unique to the racing sled include a tilted tunnel with short heat exchanger, new motocross inspired seat, racing footholds and a small fuel tank.
The RAS 3 front suspension with unique steering system provides ultra precise handling with less effort so racers can concentrate on choosing the best lines. To further assist precise steering the sled is equipped with the new lightweight Pilot R2 skis that were race tested last year by top pros Tim Tremblay and Lincoln Lemieux.
One thing familiar will be the Racing rMotion skid frame in back — but it too receives some major upgrades. There’s a new KYB piggyback 46mm center shock, new motion ratio and calibration for the rear shock and lighter weight components throughout.
The very special — for racing only — Rotax 600RS E-TEC engine is also all-new for 2018, with more horsepower and extremely fast dynamic response racers will appreciate. E-TEC direct injection makes its racing debut and combined with the booster injectors first deployed on the Rotax 850 E-TEC, delivers that quick response and contributes to the overall power gains. Other ideas adapted from the 850 for this specialty engine include a shorter intake tract with double reeds, digital eRAVE and lightweight exhaust system.
The 600RS E-TEC also gains a more displacement as it grows to 599.4 cc. The updated powerpack was completely reconfigured to fit in the efficient REV Gen4 platform.
And good news for racers that come into a corner a little too hot with all that extra power; new this year is a Brembo four-piston brake caliper mated to a new stainless steel rotor
delivering stronger, more consistent performance and better durability.
2018 MXZx 600RS Highlights
REV Gen4 Platform
- Reinforced E and S modules
- New Taper/tilt tunnel
- Short heat exchanger (Replaceable rear part of the tunnel)
- New MX inspired seat
- New Racing foot box
- 5 gallon fuel tank
RAS 3 Front Suspension
- New longer KYB Pro 40 R Shocks
- Rack steering with power assist
- New Taller spindle
- New lightweight Pilot R2 Ski
Racing rMotion Rear Suspension
- Lighter components
- New 46mm KYB Pro series center shock (piggyback with comp. adjustment)
- New rear shock calibration and motion ratio
Rotax 600RS E-TEC Engine (599.4 cc)
- E-TEC direct injection
- Intake booster injectors (850-inspired)
- Shorter intake length (850-inspired)
- Double reed valves (850-inspired)
- New mono block cylinder design with Plasma coating
- New Piston (larger bore)
- eRAVE (850-inspired)
- New lightweight exhaust system
- pDrive primary clutch
- TEAM TSS-04 secondary clutch
- New slip gear and final drive ratio (51t – 22t)
- RS drive axle
- New Belt